UK Reporting Fund

If you invest in funds classed as UK Reporting Funds then you must declare certain income from these on your tax return each year. If you are unsure if this affects you or are unsure what you need to do please check with an independent tax advisor.

What are they?

A UK Reporting Fund is a fund which is based offshore but provides investors with a tax treatment which is similar to UK funds.

To become a UK Reporting Fund the Fund Manager would need to successfully apply for the status through HMRC as well as meet certain criteria and obligations.

Because these funds are based offshore you must declare certain income from these funds on your tax return each year – this is called Excess Reportable Income. Excess reportable income is the value an offshore fund earns past the point of income they distribute as dividends or interest.

Does it affect me?

If you invest in funds classed as UK Reporting Funds then this will affect you as you will need to declare certain income on your tax return each year called ‘Excess Reportable Income’.

How will I know whether I have invested in a UK Reporting Fund?

HMRC have provided a list of all UK Reporting Funds on their website.You’ll need to check if any of the funds you invest in are on this list.

How can I check for Excess Reportable Income (ERI) in these funds?

Details of this Excess Reportable Income will be available on each Fund Manager’s website.

What if I hold UK Reporting Funds in my ISA or SIPP?

There is no need to declare Excess Income on your tax return if you invest in the funds in your ISA or SIPP.

What do I need to do?

• Check if any funds you invest in are UK Reporting Funds
• Check if they have any Excess Reportable Income (ERI)
• Calculate the Excess Reportable Income
• Include the amount calculated on your tax return

How do I calculate the Excess Reportable Income?

Most Fund Managers give details of how to calculate the figure on their website and you should follow their instructions.

As a simple guide the calculation will be: (number of shares or units held) x (excess reportable income given) = figure to declare on your tax return.

When do I need to include the Excess Reportable Income figure in my tax return?

You need to include the Excess Reportable Income figure in your tax return for the period where the fund distribution date falls.

For example, if you’ve worked out that you have an excess income to report and include in your tax return (based on the information found within a report and provided by a fund dated 30th June 2018), then you would include this in your tax return for the tax year ending 5th April 2019.

What do I include in my tax return?

The fund distribution date will be used to determine the tax year the income relates to (six months after the reporting fund period end date).

If you complete a tax return under self-assessment you must report this income on your tax return. You should refer to the
Tax Return Guide provided by HMRC to understand how the income will be reported.

If you do not complete a self-assessment return then, dependant on your own personal circumstances, you may need to register for self-assessment and subsequently report this income.

We don’t show the Excess Reportable Income on your Consolidated Tax Certificate (CTC) – we only show any income you have received directly.

Our cookies policy uses cookies to improve your online experience. Find out more about cookies

The IWeb Share Dealing Service is operated by Halifax Share Dealing Limited. Halifax Share Dealing Limited. Registered in England and Wales no. 3195646. Registered Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 2RG. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, 12 Endeavour Square, London, E20 1JN under registration number 183332. A Member of the London Stock Exchange and an HM Revenue & Customs Approved ISA Manager.