International Trading

To help you understand and make the most of your international trading, we’ll help answer your most popular questions.



Dealing commission: Free

FX rate: 1.5%

View our charges factsheet (PDF, 114KB)



Foreign markets will involve different risks from UK markets.

Learn more about the risks

Trading FAQs

Trading FAQs

Want to know more about international trading?

FAQs about trading

Two steps to start trading US shares

Before you can buy US shares (or if you’re receiving income from the US) you must complete an IRS tax form (a W-8BEN form). For trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) we are required to declare your status as either a non-professional or professional investor.


1. Complete the relevant tax form

A non-US person such as a UK resident would ordinarily complete a W-8BEN.

Download a W-8BEN form (PDF, 61 KB)


Download a W-9 form (PDF, 130 KB)


How long is it valid for?

The W-8BEN form is valid for three calendar years following the year in which you sign it, unless your personal circumstances change. Please let us know within 30 days if this happens. We will contact you when your form is due to expire.


Once you’ve completed your form you’ll need to send it to us.

  • Send from your personal computer

Complete and sign the document using Adobe Sign, then email the completed document to us.

  • Send from your phone

If you’re an Apple user, you can use the below method to complete the form using Markup.

Use Markup on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you use Android you can use apps like the Adobe fills and Sign app edit the form.


Once you’ve completed the form you just need to email it to us.

Email us


  • Send by post

Customer Registration Department
IWeb Share Dealing
Lovell Park Road


2. Complete the NYSE subscriber agreement

Once the W-8BEN form has been registered on your account, you can place your international trade.

  • Simply sign in to your share dealing account, select dealing from the right hand menu and choose the International tab.
  • The first time you trade a NYSE stock you’ll be asked to complete a NYSE subscriber agreement.
  • Once you've completed the form and confirmed that you are not a professional investor, you will be able to trade immediately.

The NYSE agreement will only appear the first time an international trade is placed and if your circumstances change you will need to contact us. We may share your personal information with NYSE if they request confirmation of your status as a non-professional investor.

Sign in

FAQs about trading

  • Dealing on foreign markets will involve different risks from UK markets - in some cases the risks may be greater.



    Language and cultural differences between the UK and foreign markets may mean that there is a lack of information, or difficulty in obtaining information you may consider important to your trading decisions.

    Currency Risks

    Any potential profit or loss from your trade in foreign markets may be affected by fluctuations in foreign exchange rates.

    Economy and Politics

    Economic or political factors such as inflation or interest rate fluctuations in the UK could affect overseas markets. The general economic outlook and market conditions may differ considerably between the UK and foreign markets causing them to be less – or more – favourable.

    Emerging Markets

    Emerging markets tend to be less developed than in the UK leading to greater volatility in securities pricing. The value of your investments could, as a result, change quickly.

    Shareholder Rights

    You may find, as a shareholder, you are excluded from some shareholder rights and benefits because you are resident in a different jurisdiction from that of the company you have invested in. An example would be participating in corporate events such as a Rights Issue. You may find you are not treated in the same way as other shareholders and could suffer losses as a result.


    Tax laws overseas differ from those in the UK. Tax authorities in many countries will take a larger amount of tax than they would in the UK because of higher rates. Remember that ISAs and SIPPs will only shelter you from UK tax. How tax is calculated abroad could therefore affect the value of, and returns from, any foreign investments.

    Trading and Settlement

    Foreign markets may trade at a lower volume than in the UK and this reduced liquidity may make it more difficult to sell shares you have bought. It could also cause delays with settlement.

  • We don’t charge you any dealing commission for international trading, however there is a currency conversion fee.

    Our currency conversion fee takes away 1.5% from the exchange rate for buys, and adds 1.5% for sales. An indicative exchange rate will be shown prior to trading and the final rate will be shown once the trade is completed.

  • Below is an example of how the foreign exchange charge is calculated:

    You buy 10 shares in a company valued at $100.00 per share. At the time the trade is placed, the £/$ exchange rate is 1.5200.

    Cost of shares - 10 x $100.00 


    Cost of shares in GBP - $1,000.00/1.52


    FX rate with FX charge added (1.25%)

    1.5% of 1.52 = 0.0228
    1.52 – 0.0228 = 1.497

    Cost of shares in GBP including FX charge

    $1,000/1.497= £668

    FX cost: £668 - £657.89


    The final figure shown within the above table as the FX cost will be the fee taken by us for the $1,000 international trade at an exchange rate of 1.5200.

  • International orders are dealt directly through the ‘order book’ at face value. Trading in this way allows us access to a much wider range of markets at a much lower cost, however this also means that a live quoting service is not available.

  • As international orders are placed directly on the relevant market's order book you will need to specify a quantity to trade and will not have ability to use an ‘invest’ option.

  • As well as UK shares you can also trade on six global stock markets with our range of trading accounts. International markets have different opening times from the London Stock Exchange, which allows you to trade shares from 8am until 9pm, Monday to Friday.

    Opening hours of stock markets

    London (LSE):
    8am - 4.30pm
    New York (NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX): 2.30pm - 9pm
    Frankfurt (XETRA): 8am - 4.30pm
    Milan (Euronext): 8am - 4.25pm
    Paris (Euronext): 8am - 4.30pm
    Amsterdam (Euronext): 8am - 4.30pm
    Brussels (Euronext): 8am - 4.30pm

    These times may change. For example, the US market opening times will be affected by Daylight Savings Time.

  • Trading international shares

    When you invest in an international share you’re required to have an additional 10% of the total value of the trade (the total value is based on the estimated price) as a buffer to possible fluctuations in share price.

    It’s worth noting that whilst you don’t need a 10% buffer in your account to sell international shares, you do need to understand that because of how the order book works you may not be able to sell your full order.

    All international orders are placed on the order book and removed at the end of that working day –so if your order doesn’t go through or is only partially completed then you’d need to place a new order for the next trading day.

    Trading UK shares

    When you get a quote for a UK share we use automated systems to request quotes at the same time from all available market counterparties. Once we've received these quotes, we will automatically take the best price available and display this to you. Your order will be executed at the best price available.

    When you trade UK shares there is also no 10% buffer, you’ll only need to cover the cost of your trade with the money in your share dealing account.

    Because we get a quote instantly for you we will have the ability to use an ‘invest’ option which lets you trade up to the full amount of money held in your share dealing account rather than specifying a number of shares to buy.

FAQs about income and tax

  • When dividends, interest payments or some other types of corporate settlement are made by foreign corporations or governments, Withholding Tax will usually be deducted at the point of payment and paid to the government of the country initiating that payment. The amount of Withholding Tax deducted can differ from country to country and will affect the value of the returns.

    If you receive foreign payments from trading international securities through us, the amount of Withholding Tax you have paid will appear on your consolidated tax certificate, which can be viewed online. If you are not registered online we post this certificate to you at the end of the tax year.

  • UK listed shares paying US sourced dividends

    Ordinarily if you complete a W-8BEN form you will only pay the 15% Withholding Tax rate instead of 30% on US listed shares paying US sourced dividends. For UK listed shares paying US sourced dividends a 30% Withholding Tax rate is applied even if you have a W-8BEN form in place.

    For example, you would receive $70 on a $100 dividend.

  • The IWeb Share Dealing Self Invested Personal Pension service is unable to arrange for US sourced income to be paid entirely exempt from tax in the US. Within our SIPP a 30% Withholding Tax rate is applied to all US sourced dividends except where the shares are US listed and you have completed a W-8BEN form when 15% Withholding Tax will apply.

    Other SIPP providers may offer a zero rate of Withholding Tax on US sourced dividends, which means no Withholding Tax is deducted so all of the dividend is received at the gross amount. We do not currently offer this arrangement and do not offer a foreign Withholding Tax reclaim service.

    How this affects your holdings?

    US listed shares

    If you wish to buy US listed shares that pay US sourced dividends we require you to complete a W-8BEN form. Once we have this form we can apply a reduced 15% Withholding Tax rate.

    For example, you would receive $85 on a $100 dividend. Other SIPP providers, depending on their arrangements, may pass on the full $100.

    UK listed shares paying US sourced dividends

    Ordinarily if you complete a W-8BEN form you will only pay the 15% Withholding Tax rate instead of 30% on US listed shares paying US sourced dividends. For UK listed shares paying US sourced dividends a 30% Withholding Tax rate is applied even if you have a W-8BEN form in place.

    For example, you would receive $70 on a $100 dividend. Other SIPP providers, depending on their arrangements, may pass on the full $100.