UK and International Stock Markets

As well as UK shares you can also trade on six global markets, effectively allowing you to trade shares from 8am until 9pm, Monday to Friday. Trading US shares? You need to complete a US tax form first.

Opening hours

London (LSE): 8am - 4.30pm
New York (NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX): 2.30pm - 9pm
Frankfurt (XETRA): 8am - 4.30pm
Milan (MTA): 8am - 4.25pm
Paris (Euronext): 8am - 4.30pm
Amsterdam (Euronext): 8am - 4.30pm
Brussels (Euronext) 8am - 4.30pm

These times may change. For example, the US market opening times will be affected by Daylight Savings Time.

Trading US shares

Before you can buy US shares, you need to complete a US tax form and return it to us. You may also benefit, depending on your circumstances, from a reduced rate of withholding tax on US sourced income (such as dividends).

Completing the appropriate tax form

It is your responsibility to make sure you complete the relevant form for your circumstances. If you are completing a W-8BEN form, please refer to the 'How to' guide first. Further help can be found at under ‘Forms & Instructions’.

W8-BEN form

A non-US individual such as a UK resident would ordinarily complete a W-8BEN:

• Download a W-8BEN form
• General guidance on completing the W-8BEN
• Further information on completing a W-8BEN:

The W-8BEN form is valid for three calendar years following the year in which you sign it, unless your personal circumstances change. Please let us know within 30 days if this happens. We will contact you when your form is due to expire.

W-9 form

A US person would ordinarily complete a W-9:

• Download a W-9 form
• Further information on completing a W-9

Returning the form


IMPORTANT: We can only accept completed forms from the email address you have registered with us.

There are two ways you can email the completed form:

1) Complete the form and digitally sign (with date and time stamp) and email an electronic copy of the form to us, or;
2) Complete the form then print, sign, scan and email the form to us.

Please email your completed form to We aim to log all forms within one working day and we'll text you confirmation when it's complete.

You can view our privacy promise here

Print and return by post

Please send your completed form to: Customer Registration Department, IWeb Share Dealing, Lovell Park Road, Leeds LS1 1NS. The form we receive from you must be completed and signed in pen, and not a copy.

Why do you need to complete a US tax form

We have certain duties to the US tax authority for customers holding US shares and receiving income from the US. We must request and receive documentation to comply.

When you complete a US tax form you may benefit from a reduced Withholding Tax rate. For example you may be eligible for a reduced rate of 15% Withholding Tax on your US dividends instead of the standard rate of 30%. This means that you may be able to receive $85 (net) from a gross U.S. dividend of $100, rather than the standard $70 (net).

Risks of international trading

Foreign markets will involve different risks to UK markets. In some cases the risks will be greater.





Language and cultural differences between the UK and foreign markets may mean that there is a lack of information, or difficulty in obtaining information you may consider important to your trading decisions.



Currency Risks



When trading on foreign markets or in foreign denominated contracts, the potential profit or loss arising from such transactions can be affected by fluctuations in foreign exchange rates.



Economy and Politics



General economic and political factors such as inflation or fluctuations in interest rates within the UK may impact overseas markets. In addition, there may be no correlation between the general economic outlook and market conditions within the UK as compared to foreign markets. These may be less or more favorable.



Emerging Markets


Emerging markets tend to be less developed than the UK model and this can lead to greater volatility in securities pricing. This can mean the value of your investments may quickly change.


Shareholder Rights


As a shareholder who is resident in a different jurisdiction to that of the company you're invested in, you may find that you're excluded from certain shareholder rights and benefits. For example, the ability to participate in corporate events, such as Rights Issues.

This means that you might not receive the same treatment as other shareholders and you could suffer economic losses as a result.




Tax laws in other countries are different to those in the UK. In many countries the local tax authorities will withhold an amount of tax which exceeds the rate which would apply in the UK. In particular it's worth remembering that ISAs and SIPPs will only shelter you from UK tax.

The treatment of tax is therefore likely to affect the value of and any returns you might expect from foreign investments.


Trading and Settlement


Trading volumes in foreign markets can be smaller than those in the UK. This can mean that reduced liquidity in overseas markets makes it more difficult to sell shares you have bought. Delays in settlement may also occur.


Risk warning

Please remember that the value of an investment and the income from it can go down as well as up and you may get back less than you invested.

We don't provide advice so if you are in any doubt about making your own investment decisions we recommend you seek advice from a suitably qualified financial adviser.

Our cookies policy uses cookies to improve your online experience. Find out more about cookies

The IWeb Share Dealing Service is operated by Halifax Share Dealing Limited. Halifax Share Dealing Limited. Registered in England and Wales no. 3195646. Registered Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 2RG. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, 12 Endeavour Square, London, E20 1JN under registration number 183332. A Member of the London Stock Exchange and an HM Revenue & Customs Approved ISA Manager.